Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Sit & Stay

I hardly got any sleep because I was nervous about my first day at work. I got up early, trying not to wake Jameson. After a nice breakfast I drove to the Full Sail campus.

(photo courtesy fullsail.edu)

I won't be working directly on campus, but it's very close to where the offices are anyway. A bunch of us new employees did orientation as a group. We signed in, got our pictures taken for our badges, and signed up for parking passes. Then we had a few ice breaker activities and some snacks before going on a tour of the campus. It's a pretty cool school with lots of modern design and tech. I was very impressed with the audio studios and the VR/AR/MR studios.

For lunch, Jameson and I met at Chick-fil-a. His office and mine are right across from each other in the same complex, so I expect we'll be able to go out to lunch together many times!

After lunch I had a few more hours of orientation involving teambuilding, self-study, policies, etc. It was a busy day and I learned a lot about Full Sail as a school, but not much about my actual work. That'll be on Wednesday. After work I had a few errands to run. When I got home, Jameson was putting dinner in the oven and had Christmas music playing in the background! He's been more than supportive as I've struggled to get adjusted and struggled with my own inner feelings. I am so glad he's my boyfriend :)

On Tuesday, much of the same. We did some personality tests, because "self-awareness is key" or somesuch. I learned that I don't like to be the center of attention, I prefer support roles, and socially I prefer small groups of friends. What else is new. A long time ago I was part of a testing group for the Myers-Briggs, so none of this was new to me :P By the end of the day we all got our work badges and parking passes. It's official. Sorry for the lack of photo, I've been bad about that this week.

I was happy to be done with orientation. Wednesday began my first day of training in financial aid. I'm the only new hire in the department for this round, so am receiving one-on-one training. It's pretty amazing and a little nerve-racking (I don't like being the center of attention, remember?). My trainer, Alessandra, has worked for Full Sail for I believe more than a decade, in various capacities. She likes the Patriots, great danes, and everything Disney :)

For the rest of the week, I spent my 8:30am-5:30pm with Alessandra, learning the ins and outs of financial aid at Full Sail. We did worksheets and quizzes, activities and presentations. We took breaks for fun videos, snacks, and meals. I got to see the offices where I will work, the "dining room", the pretty lake next to the office buildings. It's a little odd to be working in an office setting, something I haven't done for quite a long time. It will be nice to have a break from customer service. It might be selfish for me to say, but I needed a break from that type of environment. The crummy thing about retail is that your time is never your own, your hours are never what you're told, and of course the customer is always right (even when they really, really aren't). What I'm looking forward to the most in this job is being able to have honest-to-God regular hours. Leaving at the same time every day, which will allow me to have plans and a life outside of work. Doing work that I'm assigned, doing it at my own pace, and doing it well. Getting a real lunch break where I get to have a hot meal sitting down, rather than choking down a Clif bar between customers. It's the little things.

On Thursday I had rehearsal with the Orlando Concert Band. I'm still in the "audition/trial" period, but if I do well hopefully I can be a member of the band. It's a John Williams themed concert and I'm looking forward to it!

On Friday after training I was supposed to go see a Brass Band of Central Florida concert. Unfortunately I ended up staying late to finish a quiz, and then getting to the venue would have taken an hour of driving thanks to Friday traffic, so I decided I was too tired to fight it and just went home. I'm still a little bummed, but hopefully there will be other, better opportunities to hear these guys rock. At home I ate, cleaned a bit, and waited for Jameson to get home from a gig.

On Saturday I enjoyed a much-needed late sleep. Jameson and I went to the grocery, then we took his circus keyboard to Sam Ash to sell it. It was a little regretful to see it go, but he doesn't use it and it takes up a lot of space. He used to money to buy other equipment that he needs.

That night we went to Winter Park Playhouse to see Daddy Long Legs, a production for two performers, one of whom is a friend of Jameson's. The music involved a piano, guitar, and two cellos. The play was FANTASTIC. For two people to be able to put on such a show, and spin such a convincing story, was truly amazing to see. And they are both incredible vocalists. We loved every minute. The whole audience did...the guy next to me was crying at the end and trying to hide it! We were all emotionally drawn in to the beautiful story and the spectacular presentation of it. Afterward we went to the lobby to congratulate Jameson's friend (her name is Hannah Laird and she's a fantastic actress!). We also met one of his friends in the pit, a cellist named Cam who is an active professional musician in the area. We hit it off right away. I was happy to meet some really awesome people and see this very special production. We talked about what we'd experienced all the way home!

Sunday was a glorious day of rest. Jameson did laundry and played video games. I did Christmas shopping, organized my financial aid folder, and watched Game of Thrones. Next week I have another week of training, trombone practice, life.