taz_39 (taz_39) wrote,


Monday, work. I created a price list for all of the repair services that BAC Music offers, and also got started on a quick-and-dirty guide to our POS system and some of the things that I regularly do with it. After work I practiced, and went home. I think I might have applied for more jobs.

On Tuesday morning I received my official invitation to audition for The Florida Orchestra. I had applied to audition back in August, but hadn't been assigned an audition time yet, so it wasn't official. Orchestra auditions are pretty complex...many people don't realize that there's a process and a method to it. First the orchestra posts the opening. Then hundreds of applicants send their resumes. Some orchestras will make an effort to audition anyone who applies, while others will weed out applicants based on their resumes alone (this has happened to like 99% of orchestral musicians at least once). If you are not weeded out, you will receive a confirmation email containing some paperwork, a list of the required excerpts, the date and time of your audition, and a request for a check written out to the orchestra in a certain amount. The paperwork and the check must be sent to the orchestra by a certain date. The check is the orchestra's way of preventing people from wasting their time: if you show up, they'll return your check, and if you don't, they'll cash it. Simple as that.

Anyway, this orchestra sent its confirmations out this week, and I was very happy to get the chance to try. While it would be wonderful to win the position, I have no expectations, and am mostly just glad to get the experience. Having an audition to prepare for has also been great motivation for practicing and getting used to my large bore trombone again.

Speaking of large bore trombones, Eric (brass repair tech) cleaned up my bass trombone for me. I haven't played bass in a long time, but it's good to know that it's ready to go whenever I need it. Thank you Eric!

Wednesday, more work. Sorry to be so boring but just nothing exciting happened. We all had our noses to the grindstone. After work Eric (brass repair tech and bass trombonist) had a gig with a local big band, and I had another lesson with Wyatt. I think it went better than the last lesson, maybe because I was slightly less nervous. There were still many mistakes, there is still a TON of stuff that I need to work on. But Wyatt is a great teacher, and he seems to have a way of keeping things positive and objective. He makes me think that when I move to Florida, I should probably invest in some more lessons with the local professionals, or at the very least find out if anyone is holding masterclasses and attend.

After the lesson I was all fired up to practice, but of course I couldn't at 9pm. So I just didn't sleep well instead :P

Thursday, Matt was in the store with us and it was actually a little busy. We had people coming in for repairs, consignments, accessories...even some people looking to job shadow the repair techs! Matt graciously gave me a half day on Friday...I am really thrilled! There is so much that I still need to do...packing and shipping and errands and planning...ugh.

Friday. One hour of my blessed time off was lost to sleep (apparently I needed it). I cleaned out my car, went to the bank, and cancelled my utilities, among other things. Then I went to work for four hours. Then all of us went to The Peanut just a few blocks away. It's one of KCMO's oldest bars. Everyone said, "Get the wings", so I did! They were AMAZING. So much vinegar and spice that the steam from them scalded my nose and made my eyes water, and cracked pepper had been pressed hard into the meat. Hurts so good!

On Saturday I was the only one in the store. It was moderately busy, mostly with people just stopping by to see what we had. I stayed after to practice, then grabbed some groceries and went home to work on packing some more. I managed to consolidate some boxes, and now everything is more or less in the living room. There is still too much...I may have to ship some things. I hope my car can handle it.

On Sunday I had a concert with the Midwest Winds, a community group that I've been playing with. It's been a long time since I got to participate in a "real" concert! I was nervous. But it went very well and was a lot of fun. I was surprised that it only ended up being an hour long! We played some marches, a Scottish piece written in remembrance of a massacre suffered at the hands of the British, an Italian wedding song, and several other works. We had a small audience, but they were appreciative.

Afterward I went home and did laundry, ate dinner, and worked on some job applications. Then I went to bed early. This is going to be a long week.
Tags: exploring: restaurants & businesses, gigs, jobs, kansas city, local foods

  • What the Actual F is Happening

    This was a pretty crazy week. At work, I had training in the Training department. It went ok, although I was nervous and made a few mistakes.…

  • Steno School Update

    I'm gonna make my usual blog post on Friday instead of Thursday because I've got an extra day off this week. Just so you know! A quick…

  • Week 1 Weirdness

    The first week of 2021 was a weird one for me. I'm starting a new hybrid role at work, and they want me to shadow for a full week to get the…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.